Friday, March 30, 2012

Restaurant Review: El Paisa - Bedford, Texas

I don't normally eat breakfast at a restaurant, but, as it happens, after having a great breakfast at the Buttermilk Cafe in Arlington, Texas earlier this week, it happened again. My daughter wanted to try out El Paisa, and, since she had an early morning appointment and needed me to drive her, I agreed to try it out with her and my grandson...age 3. His comments will not be included in this report.

I had driven past El Paisa, a dine-in mexican fast-food restaurant, on Harwood Road in Bedford, many times and usually made a mental note to eat there sometime. No real reason, just had an air about it.

The first thing I noticed was how clean and neat the outside was.

Once inside, the lady at the register was very friendly, helpful, and, as my daughter put it on UrbanSpoon, "sweet". She was also very patient as my daughter is visually impaired, my grandson is...ahem...active, and I had no clue what I wanted...and have been without my ADHD meds for several days!

Eventually, my daughter decided to get one of the breakfast plates. She got a breakfast "torta" for her son, and I got a breakfast burrito with egg and bacon, and a cup of coffee.

Seated and looking around, the inside was not new, but still very clean and attractive in a simple, mexican motif manner. The bathroom was good sized and also clean, by the way. There was fairly quiet Hispanic music playing in the background of the restaurant, lighting was good but not intense, and the overall ambiance was comfortable.


El Paisa Dining Area

The food was prepared in what appeared to be a clean kitchen. I have been a restaurant manager and try to look at such things.

One word for servings at El Paisa is "big". The breakfast plate was big, my grandson's breakfast torta was big, as was my burrito. I could have played football with it! They put three eggs in almost everything, by the way.


El Paisa Breakfast Torta

Even the coffee, which was good, by the way, was in a big cup, and the lady offered me a refill for free.

The food was delicious, and my daughter, who knows these things, informed me it was "Mexican" not "Tex-Mex". Having had most of my Mexican food experiences in Texas, I noticed that the food at El Pais in Bedford, TX, reminded me of what I got in Mexican restaurants in California. A bit lighter but still flavorful. Sometimes the food in "Mexican" restaurants, even the ones I really like, overwhelms me. This was good, simple fare and I completely enjoyed the experience.

I will be taking my wife there for a meal in the near future. If you like Mexican food, you might want to visit El Pais in Bedford, Texas.

El Paisa on Urbanspoon

=====================
CITIES OF THE WORLD

5 comments:

  1. Hi Donovan,

    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/13/1464168/restaurant/El-Paisa-Bedford
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/13/1642955/restaurant/Buttermilk-Cafe-Arlington

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/13/7729/Dallas-Fort-Worth/Travel-in-the-21st-Century.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg. I have claimed my blog and am waiting for your staff's verification.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Donovan! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/13/7729/Dallas-Fort-Worth/Travel-in-the-21st-Century.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg.

      For all other readers:

      I use Urbanspoon to keep track of my most and least favorite restaurants. If you use Urbanspoon too we can compare notes on the best places to eat.

      Urbanspoon is a website where you can find everything there is to know about local restaurants -- with menus and maps, as well as reviews from newspaper critics and food blogs.

      Urbanspoon

      Delete
  3. Love it ! Thanks for sharing this one had my purse stolen with bus pass in what must i do for a replacement the pass was over 60 free pass well done.

    ReplyDelete