Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Restaurant Review: Buttermilk Cafe - Artlington, Texas

When you travel you eat, and, since you often eat at restaurants which you know nothing about, I have decided to include the occasional restaurant review on my travel blog.

At the moment, my own abilitiy to travel is curtailed due to some personal and family health issues, but that will change in a few months. As it is, my wife and I don't get out much except for the common errands, and don't eat out a whole lot, and, when we do, it is usually at a few favorite restaurants.

One of these favorites for the last year has been the Buttermilk Cafe on Pipeline Road in Hurst, Texas. A down-home sort of place, which reminded us of another favorite, Lil' Tex, in Copperas Cove, Texas, it was popular with the locals (of which we are now a part), served hearty, if not gourmet, American food, in large portions with good-ol-gal hospitality from the waitresses.

I love having a sweet waitress, young or old, call me "Honey" or "Darlin" (no "g"), or even "Sweetheart", by the way.

Anyway, a family task took us down into Arlington early yesterday morning, and we decided to stop in and have breakfast at the newly opened Buttermilk Cafe in Arlington, Texas, just a hop, skip, and jump South on Collins from Cowboy Stadium.

We were greeted warmly by the waitstaff, and our waitress, Kaylee, made sure we were taken care of, including starting a new pot of coffee for me.

To be honest, when I write about a restaurant, I have to admit that I do not know a whole lot about how food should be prepared...or taste. Oh sure, I can tell when it tastes okay to me, but I spent 21 years in the military, dining happily off messhall food, C-Rations, and MRE's.

So, other than saying the food looked and tasted good, I'm not going to say any more on preparation, appearance, and taste.

Hey! It was the Sampler with eggs, all the meats, grits and toast! Basic breakfast. However, it was hot, it tasted great (to me...Mr. Dead Tastebuds), and it was served quickly by an attentive Kaylee, who also kept my coffee cup filled. Diners at other tables and booths seemed to be getting fast and friendly service as well, by the way.

What more could I ask?

My wife, who does recognize good food, ordered a greek omelet with biscuits and gravy and assures me that everything was excellent, except that the biscuits, which were supposed to be soaked in gravy anyway, were a tiny bit hard for her liking.

The portions were even more than we normally get at the Buttermilk Cafe in Hurst, and, for once, even I could not finish....our dog got a treat.

A few weeks earlier, we had introduced one of our daughters, the gourmand and would-be gourmet cook, not the one who is a parole officer, to the Buttermilk Cafe in Hurst, and she is hooked. We intend to introduce both of them to the Buttermilk Cafe in Arlington.

We do heartily recommend the Buttemilk Cafe in Arlington (817-459-4477), at 404 North Collins St., Arlington, Texas 76011. They serve a basic American menu, have daily specials, and don't hold back on the portions. The food tastes good and the service is excellent.

Visitors to the Arlington, Texas area may want to know that the Buttermilk Care in Arlington is convenient to Six Flags, Cowboy Stadium, and the Texas Ranger's Ballpark. While Six Flags would be a bit of a stretch, a healthy fan could easily walk from the restaurant to a football or baseball game. Although located slight away from "the action" there are many other good restaurants, quality motels, and plenty of shopping of all kinds within a mile or so. To reach I-30, just head north on Collins for a mile or so. Go east on I-30 and south on Highway 360 to get down to I-20.

You "can" reach I-20 by going south on Collins, but you go through a lot of stoplights and neighborhoods.

If this comment entices you to go there, please let them know where you saw this review.

Buttermilk Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment