Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Food Review: Back Porch BBQ, La Grange, Texas

I was driving down Highway 77 through La Grange, Texas, on my way from Dallas to Corpus Christi, a few days ago and decided to stop early so I could have a full, rested, day on the coast the next day.

It was about dinner time and all I had eaten was "road food"....snacks, burgers, etc., and I was ready to eat a real meal. I checked the motel guest information for a decent place to eat. The one that popped out was The Back Porch BBQ.

Now, to be honest, the main reason I decided to get some food from there was that it was nearby. I was tired and didn't want to make a fuss or wander all over La Grange looking for some place to pick up food to bring back to the room. All I had to do was drive about three quarters of a mile back up the access road, and there it was...on the corner of US Highways 77 & 71.

Located in older wooden building, as I drove up into the parking place, I noticed how neat and clean everything seemed to be. That was the same impression I got when I entered. Despite the "back country" chic look, everything was spic and span.

As if it wasn't clean enough, a young lady was busily cleaning as I entered. She was very pleasant as she took my order, and apologetic that they did NOT have turkey that day nor bread pudding.

However, I got the brisket and pulled pork with potato salad and went back to the room.

The pulled pork was delicious, as was the potato salad, but the brisket......to die for!

Very tasty, it was thick cut yet easy to chew...important, since so much brisket is tough or not very flavorful.

It is a local business, and, if I understood the sign, not open for very long when I passed through. It is a family-owned business, owned and operated by Derrick and Korin Burnett.

Located at the intersection of US 71 and US 77 in Lagrange, Texas, The Back Porch BBQ is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday, but open 11 AM to 8 PM, Monday, Thursday and Sunday, and 11 AM to 9 PM Friday and Saturday. Their phone number is 979-968-1580 and their email is info@thebackporchbbq.com.

Definitely a thumbs up for this small-town restaurant: excellent food at a reasonable price.

The Back Porch BBQ on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I love their brisket! I have denture problems and the meat almost melted in my mouth. What a joy!

    ReplyDelete